Sunday, January 20, 2013

Not a tragedy, rather a nuisance


Tragedy puts problems in your life in perspective. 

In our small town, over the Christmas holidays, we had two massive tragedies that left the community struck with grief. They included a bizarre catastrophic murder of a young woman teacher and a heart-rending death of a young school-age girl crossing the road on her return home from school.  Soon after that, Max and I lost our baby at 13-weeks pregnant.

Anytime I become overwhelmed with frustration with the Dragon and her tactics, and get the poor-me attitude – “why do I have to deal with this” – I remember how worse things could be. Having to deal with the Dragon’s evil schemes is really no tragedy, simply a nuisance.

When we are dealt with another Dragon drama, I try hard to turn my focus on what I am blessed with, not what I wish I didn’t have – that being the Dragon in our lives. She is a nuisance like that fly that circulates the kitchen on a hot summer day that you can’t seem to swat with the newspaper you have rolled up. She won’t go away, and she is who she is, a pestering annoyance like a maggot-born fly.

We become overwhelmed with emotions at times in the face of her dramatics. It is a nuisance, not a tragedy having to deal with such an evil monster as her. We deal.  We are able to put things in perspective and realize while we have a pestering fly circulating around us, it is at least in a beautiful meadow surrounded by a rainbow of happiness and gratitude for all we are blessed with.


No comments:

Post a Comment